[dns-operations] gpo.gov issues

Gilles Massen gilles.massen at restena.lu
Thu Oct 31 21:33:42 UTC 2013

Hi,

Trying to refine the issue: you get the timeout when the buffer size <
response size. Everything between 2468 and 4096 is working fine. As for
the other records: they produce smaller responses - presumably below MTU.

So I would guess at a problem with the truncating logic (or a magic box
on the wire): whenever an answer is supposed to contain the TC bit, it
breaks. With bufsize=512 the problem disappears as a different answer
logic kicks in (only the answer section) resulting in small replies.

What is supporting the theory is that queries like "dig @ns1.gpo.gov
gpo.gov dnskey +dnssec +norecurse +bufsize=1200" do work (falling back
to TCP), but with a warning: ";; Warning: Message parser reports
malformed message packet.". I didn't look any closer at the packet. Why
this does get an (malformed) answer but the MX queries not could be the
MTU barrier.

What the cause of this is I wouldn't dare to guess...

Best,
Gilles