[dns-operations] Should medium-sized companies run their own recursive resolver?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sun Oct 27 02:07:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Warren Kumari wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2013, at 9:33 PM, Carlos M. Martinez <carlosm3011 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Agreed. However, at least in my experience, it is usually easy to
>> achieve high availability figures running a linux box on relatively
>> cheap hardware, while links are much less dependable. I've seen 400-day
>> plus uptimes on very cheap, dubious looking, PC clones.
>
> Yup, me too -- however, "average IT talents" and "Linux" do not go together in the same sentence.
> You are most definitely not an average IT person….

It's quite easy and cost effective to obtain consulting services to
have some one set up and maintain a Linux server if the organisation
doesn't have those skills in house.

Managing the zone files can be done through web guis.  Even the venerable
Webmin has been offering that functionality for 15 or 20 years.

Many people (including me) were doing setups like this 15+ years ago for
small organisations let alone medium sized ones.

I've always advocated a disciplined approach to network design even in
small organisations.  Setting up internal nameservers and perhaps split
dns isn't hard and allows the organisation to maintain access to network
resources in an orderly fashion, avoiding the hodgepodge of inconsistent
hosts files and general brokenness that many small-medium sized
organisations get themselves in to.

Cheers,

Rob

--