[dns-operations] Should medium-sized companies run their own recursive resolver?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Oct 14 17:51:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 09:08:33AM -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> A fictitious 100-person company has an IT staff of 2 who have average IT talents. They run some local servers, and they have adequate connectivity for the company's offices through an average large ISP.
>
> Should that company run its own recursive resolver for its employees, or should it continue to rely on its ISP?

As a matter of fact, there is a non-zero chance in this sort of
description that they'll end up running more than one resolver,
chained to one another.  But before answering this entirely fictitious
case, I'd like to know how to operationalize "average IT talents" and
"average large ISP".  For instance, in the deep past I worked with
some average IT grunts who were perfectly capable of this & understood
the pitfalls.  I also worked with some who couldn't spell DNS.  And of
course, if the "average large ISP" is Comcast, it seems to me the
answer is pretty clear.  If, on the other hand, it's (say) a certain
large red-coloured Canadian ISP, I think the answer would be equally
clear, though different.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com