[dns-operations] summary of recent vulnerabilities in DNS security.

Keith Mitchell keith at dns-oarc.net
Tue Oct 22 16:53:21 UTC 2013

On 10/22/2013 10:52 AM, Haya Shulman wrote:

>> Disclosing such potential vulnerabilities remains valuable work,
>> but I think careful consideration needs to be applied to the
>> engineering economics of the best operational-world mitigation
>> approaches.
>
> @/Keith Mitchell/

(My head is *really* hurting from this quotation formatting..)-:
(re-wrapping and indenting to list conventions...)

> I do not advocate to deploy these or other countermeasures. Above
> any doubt you are in the best position to decide which
> countermeasures to deploy.

Not really, OARC does not operate production service-providing
infrastructure except to support a membership organization, most of our
infrastructure is dedicated to data-gathering/testbed/research purposes.
So I defer to *real* DNS infrastructure operators and implementors on
any such judgments.

> The situation with DNS checkers is different from deployment of port
> randomisation.  DNS checkers is a very important service to the
> community and the efforts that their operators took to make them
> available is very valuable. However, an illusion of security is more
>  dangerous than not being protected at all (in the later case one is
>  aware that he is not protected and may be attacked).

Fair enough.

> I admit that I do not know what economic effort is required to patch
>  DNS checkers which report per-destination ports, recommended in
> [RFC6056], as secure

Well, more than we've been able to dedicate in the past month or so. I'm
trying to get an estimate of this from those best placed to do the
actual work.

> but I suggested a fix to this vulnerability some time ago, that
> should be fairly simple to implement;

Yes, but as I explained privately previously, there is no record of this
correspondence through official OARC channels - I did request you
re-send, but I don't have a copy of it.

> the problem with the porttest checker is that each IP address of the
>  checker system receives a single query from the tested resolver, and
>  so to each such IP address a random port is selected. But, if more
> than a single query were sent to each checker IP during the test,
> then the predictable sequence would be easily identified.

Thank you for this clarification - any further points you have about the
best way to implement the fix to this would be welcome, but are likely
best taken off-list.

Keith