[dns-operations] Should medium-sized companies run their own recursive resolver?

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Oct 16 15:19:27 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-16, at 11:11, Keith Mitchell <keith at dns-oarc.net> wrote:

> Isn't there now:
>
> 0: We have no internal IT infrastructure. Everyone BYODs, 4G/LTE on
> their mobile devices is faster and less hassle than running corporate
> broadband, and the internal workgroup collaboration all happens in 3rd
> party clouds.
>
> ?

I have done no survey, but having been through the process recently of making choices for things like mail, web, calendar, document collaboration, storage for a small start-up, google apps (as an example of your more general description) is a compelling choice. Requiring zero infrastructure at the (home) office(s) beyond whatever the kids already demand in order to watch netflix is a big win.

If this isn't a major trend for the medium-sized companies being discussed here, I don't know why. $5/month/user is ridiculousy cheap compared to the cost of employing two full-time IT people and sufficient herds of contractors to set up things like exchange, sharepoint, file servers, etc.

Joe