[dns-operations] Should medium-sized companies run their own recursive resolver?

Keith Mitchell keith at dns-oarc.net
Wed Oct 16 15:11:41 UTC 2013

On 10/16/2013 03:24 AM, Warren Kumari wrote:

> Companies *seem*[1] to follow the trajectory of:
>
> 1: We have 1-10 employees, we'll just use whatever Netgear /
> Linksys someone had lying around / the DSL we ordered came with.
> This is largely a home network.
>
> 2: We now have 10-50 employees, let's get a consultant to give us
> a hand. Wheee, now we have a Windows <something> "server" and a
> (consumer) NAS.
>
> 3: Now we have 50-200 employees and 2 IT type folk.

> 4: We now have 200-400 employees.

> 5: 400- more. This is very similar to #4, but with a few
> departments and specialization and such…

Isn't there now:

0: We have no internal IT infrastructure. Everyone BYODs, 4G/LTE on
their mobile devices is faster and less hassle than running corporate
broadband, and the internal workgroup collaboration all happens in 3rd
party clouds.

?

I'm *not* saying I think this is a Good Thing ("if stuff breaks, it's
somebody else's problem, let's see if we can figure out who..."), but
I think if we're going to have this discussion it's important to
consider some bigger trends....

Keith