[dns-operations] Should medium-sized companies run their own recursive resolver?

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Oct 15 05:14:36 UTC 2013

Simon Lyall wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Doug Barton wrote:
>> We of the DNS literati tend to forget just how difficult this stuff
>> really is, and how hard it is for companies to prioritize spending
>> money on things that usually "just work."
>
> I'm a little concerned at the answers here.

even
https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2013-October/010765.html
?

> Surely a recursive resolver is one of the simplest services in the
> world to configure? You basically enable it, make sure recursion is
> on[1] and update DHCP or whatever to use it. Add another server for
> luck and put a "Turning this off breaks Internet" sticker on it if you
> want it robust.

+1. for opendns to have 20M+ unique ip's per day using their service,
the general presumption has to be that rdns is hard, which is to say,
the general presumption is as usual wrong.

> I'm not entirely sold on using Google DNS or OpenDNS. In my case there
> are/were several thousand km and and few counties away so didn't
> produce the best performance, they also introduce a dependence on
> upstream services several hops away.

as i said,
https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2013-October/010765.html
.