[dns-operations] Should medium-sized companies run their own recursive resolver?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Oct 14 18:56:52 UTC 2013

On Oct 14, 2013, at 9:33 PM, Carlos M. Martinez <carlosm3011 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed. However, at least in my experience, it is usually easy to
> achieve high availability figures running a linux box on relatively
> cheap hardware, while links are much less dependable. I've seen 400-day
> plus uptimes on very cheap, dubious looking, PC clones.

Yup, me too -- however, "average IT talents" and "Linux" do not go together in the same sentence.
You are most definitely not an average IT person….

> Now that I think of it, rather than the recursive DNS function, the
> local resolution of local resources is, IMO, a more important driver for
> running your local DNS. If you cater for a 100 person office, you
> probably have some printers, maybe a file server or two, some form of
> backup servicea, VoIP telephone service and maybe a local intranet/wiki.
> Hard-coding IPs for all these services in 100 workstations seems crazy
> to me.
>
> The, if you run a DNS for local services, also configuring it for
> recursion should be straightforward.

Yup, once agin, Windows AD and / or Bonjour type things come to the "rescue" -- "you plugs in the printer and then click browse and then something happens somehow and you can print". So, if AD counts as "DNS" then, well…