[dns-operations] Should medium-sized companies run their own recursive resolver?

Carlos M. Martinez carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 18:33:14 UTC 2013

Agreed. However, at least in my experience, it is usually easy to
achieve high availability figures running a linux box on relatively
cheap hardware, while links are much less dependable. I've seen 400-day
plus uptimes on very cheap, dubious looking, PC clones.

Now that I think of it, rather than the recursive DNS function, the
local resolution of local resources is, IMO, a more important driver for
running your local DNS. If you cater for a 100 person office, you
probably have some printers, maybe a file server or two, some form of
backup servicea, VoIP telephone service and maybe a local intranet/wiki.
Hard-coding IPs for all these services in 100 workstations seems crazy
to me.

The, if you run a DNS for local services, also configuring it for
recursion should be straightforward.

regards,

~Carlos