[dns-operations] to RD or not to RD, that is the question.

✅ Roy Arends roy at dnss.ec
Mon Nov 25 16:26:39 UTC 2013

On 25 Nov 2013, at 16:15, Alex Nicoll <anicoll at cert.org> wrote:

> I find myself in a bit of a quandary, and so I thought I'd turn to the gurus here for some help.
>
> I needed to do some basic DNSSEC testing on a domain, and began by grabbing a list of the authoritative name servers for the domain.  I then queried each name server for some basic records that I know exist (SOA, A records, etc) to get ensure the RRSIGs come back and can be validated.  On 7 of the 10 authoritative name server, I can query WITHOUT using the RD flag in the message header, and get the expected results.  On the other three, querying without the RD flag yields no records, but also no error.  When querying the three WITH the RD flag, I get the expected responses.
>

> As far as I can understand the RFCs, all authoritative name servers should have a local copy of the zone, which means that they should be able to answer the queries without recursion.  Is this a correct assumption?

That is a correct assumption. As far as I understand, an authoritative server satisfies three requirements. 1) the domain in question is delegated to the server in question by its parent. 2) the server in question responds with the AA bit, or responds with a delegation to the next level 3) the server in question is configured to serve the zone in question.

Can you share the domain in question with the list? It often helps to get a confirmation of the data that you see.

>   If it isn't, then I need to modify my scan script, but if it is, can I assume that means the nameservers need to be fixed, or at least marked non-authoritative?

There is quite a lot of brokeness in the world of DNS. Without data to check, it might be that your script needs work, the servers need work, the network between the two needs work, or all three :-).

Hope this helps,

Roy