[dns-operations] 30 years of DNS

Dan York york at isoc.org
Mon Nov 25 16:18:04 UTC 2013

Ondřej,

On 11/25/13 5:17 AM, "Ondřej Surý" <ondrej.sury at nic.cz> wrote:

>Just a short notice - the RFC 882 and 883 has been published in November
>1983, so we are celebrating 30 years of DNS this November.

Excellent catch!  I do agree that we should celebrate this anniversary -
I'll work up a blog post for our Deploy360 site to help in our own small
way.  I'd certainly encourage others to do so, too!  It would have been
fun to try to coordinate some kind of larger celebration for this month
(indeed it could have been a celebration at ICANN 48 this past week in
Buenos Aires!)... but with only a few days remaining (and with those of us
in the USA having our Thanksgiving holiday happening this week) it's a
little late to do something now.

I would note that Paul put out an article back in May celebrating 30 years
of DNS:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-mockapetris/dns-what-celebrating-30-y_b_
3211030.html

But I've not yet seen anything tying it to the actual publication of the
RFCs, which is certainly a solid marker for "when" DNS began.

>P.S.: I would be interested if anybody can dig up the exact date when the
>first DNS RFCs were published.

Interesting to try to dig that far back and see that only month info is
available.  As someone else mentioned, Paul Mockapetris would be one
potential source of digging back to the actual dates.

Thanks for pointing this out,
Dan

--
Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/