[dns-operations] It's begun...

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Nov 15 16:24:58 UTC 2013

On Nov 15, 2013, at 12:41 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 06:02:23PM +0100,
> Phil Regnauld <regnauld at nsrc.org> wrote
> a message of 25 lines which said:
>
>> 	I'm waiting for the first news articles reporting corporate
>> 	networks who've used .[insert new tld] as their private domain
>> 	and are now seeing strange things.
>
> "BigCo CIO declares that the problem their Web site experienced
> yesterday was the result of a collision between their internal TLD
> .sexy, that they use for years to name the internal machines, and the
> recently created ICANN (Nasdaq: ICAN) .sexy TLD." Unlikely.

There are two sources of collisions: internal TLDs and search lists. The following is more likely:

"BigCo CIO declares that the problem their Web site experienced
yesterday was the result of a collision between their internal management
server whose FQDN is www.sexy.bigco.com. They use Internet standard search
lists, and thus normally type 'www.sexy' to get to the server. This
now conflicts with the
recently created ICANN (Nasdaq: ICAN) .sexy TLD."