[dns-operations] DNS Caching issue with ATT and Verizon Wireless (other small carriers too)

Randy Raitz randy.raitz at readytalk.com
Wed Nov 6 22:30:39 UTC 2013

Good afternoon all,

I'm writing today after a major mistake by register.com rendered our business ReadyTalk nearly useless to our customer base. During a routine request to review our registrar information (removing privacy filters) in order to support the renewal of an SSL certificate, Register.com mistakenly removed one of our domains; ecovate.com. Our production website and underlying services at readytalk.com relied on name servers in the ecovate.com name space (ns1, ns2, ns3.ecovate.com). Shortly after realizing what had happened, we were able to work with register.com to restore the ecovate.com domain and name servers pointing to our hosts, however, it was already too late in many of the major carrier networks as invalid domain entries seem to have been cached within their dns environments.

We have successfully worked with Centurylink, Comcast, Verizon business, and a few other providers to clear dns cache entries related to readytalk.com, however, we have a large number of users still unable to use their mobile devices and smaller carriers to hit our site/services at readytalk.com. Among these, the biggest names are AT&T Wireless, Verizon Wireless, and Roadrunner.

If anyone on the list can help get readytalk.com and ecovate.com dns caches cleared in these organizations, we'd greatly appreciate your assistance. We've navigated the typical channels including opening tickets with AT&T wireless as cellular customer and were given a guaranteed response date of 11/8/2013. Unfortunately, we are unable to sustain such an outage and retain customers who use our service for web and audio conferencing.

Any help, contacts or information that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Randy Raitz
ReadyTalk
IT and Operations Manager
303-209-1616
303-594-8817
Randy.raitz at readytalk.com<mailto:Randy.raitz at readytalk.com>
Randy.raitz at gmail.com<mailto:Randy.raitz at gmail.com>

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, copying, disclosure or dissemination is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.