[dns-operations] Querying version.bind illegal?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu May 23 13:59:51 UTC 2013

On May 23, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

> On 23 May 2013, at 14:39, Vitalie Cherpec <vitalie at penguin.ro> wrote:
>
>> I would like to know if querying version.bind is illegal (in
>> some countries)?
>
> Ask a lawyer or policeman in those countries. It's hard to see how such largely useless queries could be illegal or result in a successful prosecution. Or get you extradited. Then again, some countries have very strange laws and extradition treaties.

IANAL,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Fraud_and_Abuse_Act

The CFAA defines a “protected computer” under 18 U.S.C. § 1030(e)(2) to mean a computer:

	• which is used in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce or communication, including a computer located outside the United States that is used in a manner that affects interstate or foreign commerce or  communication of the United States...

(Seems a DNS server would possibly fall into this category)

Looking at a.2.C, it could apply to anything a DNS server replies with.  Then again, it's a server so meant to be a public item, so I wouldn't be concerned.

- Jared