[dns-operations] DNS Performance Test Over TCP

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed May 22 14:16:50 UTC 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Kareem Ali <kareem.ali at centralnic.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run a DNS TCP performance test to a DNS server in a
> lab environment. I'm doing the test from another server connected
> directly with a 1 Gb link. Both servers are running CentOS 6.4. I use
> dnsperf to run my DNS performance test on UDP, and it's giving me what I
> want on both IPv4 and IPv6, but I can't find a proper tool to do it with
> TCP.
>
> I tried querytcp, but it won't let me limit the maximum queries per
> second. Also, couldn't get queryperf++ to install on my boxes because it
> has some dependencies that it needs to run.
>
> Does anybody know a good tool to do DNS performance tests over TCP?

[without research random musing]

I would imagine you could just modify the source to use SOCK_STREAM instead of SOCK_DGRAM unless it uses sendto or recvfrom.  It would also need to utilize connect().  The packet formats are nearly identical (you need to send the packet length in the TCP message per RFC 1035 4.2.2).

- Jared