[dns-operations] bind-9.9.3rc2 ANY+TCP patch

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Thu May 16 15:30:28 UTC 2013

> From: Matthijs Mekking <matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl>

> > https://www.google.com/search?q=false+positive
> > http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/probability-false-negatives-positives.html
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_I_and_type_II_errors
>
> So a false positive is a type I error, aka "the incorrect rejection of a
> true".

"True" is an adjective instead of a noun in this context.  The nouns
in this context are "postive" and "negative."

>        Putting that back in RRL perspective, I translate that to a false
> positive is "the failure to identify and deal with an attack packet"
> (like above).

That is mistaken.  We are talking about testing for (and perhaps
mitigating) attack packets.  A "positive" for our test is "this packet
is an attack packet."   Deciding that a packet is not an attack packet
is a "negative".   An accurate test or determination that a packet is
or is not an attack packet is a "true positive" or "true negative".
An inaccurate determination by the test is a "false positive" or "false
negative."

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com