[dns-operations] bind-9.9.3rc2 ANY+TCP patch

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu May 16 14:21:31 UTC 2013

On 05/16/2013 03:31 PM, Matthijs Mekking wrote:
> On 05/16/2013 02:54 PM, Vernon Schryver wrote:
>>> From: Matthijs Mekking <matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl>

>>> I agree. Basically it is a query from an attacker that is not being
>>> dropped.
>>
>> That sounds like a "false negative" instead of a "false positive."
>
> That was my first thought as well, but then I thought "what is a
> positive?" I consider an attack packet to be a positive that needs
> handling. A true positive would then be "dropping an attack packet". A
> false positive would then be "letting an attack packet through".

Given the example of a false positive that is on the wikipedia page (a
patient has a disease being tested for when really the patient does not
have the disease), I think I should have sticked with my first thought
and your definitions are correct. So a false positive would be "a packet
is identified as an attack query, when really the packet is legitimate".