[dns-operations] 20130625 survey version.bind

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Wed Jun 26 19:46:40 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 2013-06-25, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> sent:
> > The openresolver project surveyed version.bind from those
> > resolvers that respond from port 53 based on the 20130616
> > dataset.
> >
> > I know this will be of value to some people in understanding
> > what resolvers may be reaching their systems.
> >
> > Here are the results:
> >
> > http://openresolverproject.org/version.bind.20130616.20130625.parsed.txt
>
> Interesting!
>
>   14558 SERVFAIL
>
> Is that resolvers that return a SERVFAIL code, or are they
> actually returning "SERVFAIL" in a TXT record?

What's annoying is one that is:

     1 contact dns at ksu.edu

That's the string I set for my campus only recursive caching servers.....  but, I had done and did another ip space check, and there's no open resolvers found for my space, because query acl is limited to campus as well has firewall.  Forunately I didn't have to go too far through our /16 to find an open resolver.

Its in the IT Security/Networking range...the people that have been cracking down on DNS operators around campus (including asking me why my authoritative only nameservers, the targets of the DoS, were open to the world....) for this especially since the last DoS was a steady 2Gbps for an extended period....to our primary core router, across to our secondary core router and then into the datacenter. (which I discovered the datacenter only has a 2Gbps connection to the core, but its on the list for summer projected to upgrade to 20Gbps.)

I changed the string on my servers....wonder how long before I see that string?

--
Who: Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. - W0LKC - Senior Unix Systems Administrator
For: Enterprise Server Technologies (EST) -- & SafeZone Ally
Phone: (785) 532-4916 - Fax: (785) 532-3515 - Email: lkchen at ksu.edu
Web: http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~lkchen - Where: 11 Hale Library