[dns-operations] All requests are logged by BIND?

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Jan 28 16:02:05 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-25, at 15:05, Mike Hoskins (michoski) <michoski at cisco.com> wrote:

> Well if you believe Google, you're comparing Quincy Public Schools and
> Portland Public Schools, which have different lunch menus, job openings,
> etc.
>
> Sorry, needed to lighten up my day a bit...  8^P
>
> Queries Per Second vs Packets Per Second...obviously PPS should be much
> larger.

Depends what you're counting.

If you're counting requests from a client base that predominately supports EDNS0, pps ought to be very close to qps.

If you're counting responses sent to that same client base, then you might well see pps > qps if you're counting fragments as separate packets (seems probable).

If you're seeing a lot of TCP fallback, then you can expect the resulting handshake per q to cause pps > qps.

You never expect qps < pps, but the degree to which pps > qps depends.

Joe