[dns-operations] Capturing 8.8.8.8 Traffic

Robert Edmonds edmonds at isc.org
Tue Feb 26 02:44:59 UTC 2013

Warren Kumari wrote:
> So, yes, there is a commercial reason -- Google makes basically all its money from folk using the Internet.
> While things have been improving, a large number of ISPs were providing very poor recursive DNS services for their users -- DNS is seen simply as a cost and not as a revenue stream, and so they were often oversubscribed and / or not reliable (and / or would lie).
>
> Poor DNS performance leads to a substantially degraded user experience (sometime have a look to see how many DNS resolutions something like the CNN main page requires) -- poor user performance leads to users using the Internet less, which leads to Google not making as much money.
>
> Now I realize that lots of folk would prefer to believe that there is something more nefarious happening (and there is nothing really that I can say to change that) but I figured I should at least try explain why Google provides this...

by the way, speaking of 8.8.8.8, it'd be more convenient if this page:

    https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq#locations

showed the locations on a map, or at least expanded the IATA airport
codes.  cf.,

    http://www.opendns.com/technology/network-map

    (or even:
    http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/locations/index.html)

and speaking of anycast DNS and IATA air codes, why no SFO or LAX?  is a
single data center good enough for the entire U.S. west coast?  :)

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds at isc.org