[dns-operations] zone format bind9

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Fri Feb 15 10:43:49 UTC 2013

Randy,

On Monday, 2013-02-11 12:11:47 -0800,
Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> i am not in love with this binary format <bleep>

Just FYI, the binary format is *much* faster for loading (like twice
as fast), which is why it is now the default.

It was a kind of BCP to tell people "convert to binary format" when
they asked us how to speed up BIND 9 start times, which as a developer
makes you scratch your head and think, "why do people have to jump
through hoops that computers can just do for you?"

The error message you see is because we do change the binary format,
and when we don't understand an older (or newer) version we simply punt
on the operation. It's generally the safest thing to do, although
perhaps we could try harder and go fishing around for text files too.

I checked and we do install named-compilezone with "make install", so
I'm not sure why you have an older version - perhaps this is a case of
default paths giving the wrong executable?

Cheers,

--
Shane