[dns-operations] bind + client-subnet

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Aug 13 10:30:43 UTC 2013

On Aug 13, 2013, at 1:43 AM, Evan Hunt <each at isc.org> wrote:

>> Do you mean the BIND views? It has been there for many years.
>> http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/view.html
>
> I believe Jared meant this:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vandergaast-edns-client-subnet-02

Correct.

I'm not sure how accurate this really is, but:

http://www.cdnplanet.com/blog/which-cdns-support-edns-client-subnet/

Basically, it helps pass the client IP upstream so the CDN can make a better guess to which cluster to direct you to, instead of the query-source IP of the recursive they are talking to.

We've seen poor CDN performance as a result of them only being granular to a /24 scope, as well as folks using the 'wrong' dns servers and being sent to CDN nodes a few networks or continents away.

- Jared