[dns-operations] Sample Zone Files for Testing

Phil Pennock dnsop+phil at spodhuis.org
Wed Apr 10 22:06:29 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-10 at 14:03 +0200, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> I'm looking for sample zone files for name server testing after software
> upgrades. The zone files should contain "normal" stuff but also complex
> stuff like CNAME/DNAME, wildcard records ...
>
> Is anyone aware of such existing zone files (and even better: existing
> test clients)?

How complex?

$ host -lva test.globnix.net nlns.globnix.net

$ host -lva f.e.e.b.d.a.e.d.1.3.0.0.8.9.8.0.2.0.a.2.ip6.arpa nlns.globnix.net

Strip the DNSKEY/RRSIG/TYPE65534/NSEC3 records, peruse the results, see
if there's anything of interest?  Note that there are no wildcard
records, feel free to add them.  Otherwise, should meet your needs?

Note that Bind, at least, requires "check-names ignore;" to be able to
load these zones.  Everything in them is perfectly valid DNS.

-Phil