[dns-operations] dotless domains

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Mon Sep 24 07:44:37 UTC 2012

On 21.09.12 19:02, Mike Jones wrote:
> If apple decide that they want to use "apple." for their main website
> then let them, it won't work, but it won't cause problems for anyone
> except themselves and their users.

I would care less what it will cause to Apple and their users. That's
Apple's task to figure out.

But I do care, that if I have an apple.my.domain host and a multitude of
local computers addressing it as "apple" those might suddenly try to
visit that site in Cupertino.

This is one of the implications we will face for allowing arbitrary
strings as TLDs. Software and configurations will have to be adapted.
May will remain broken. A lot of people on Internet will suffer from the
new gTLD introduction. Prohibiting A/AAAA/MX records at TLDs might just
ease this process.

Daniel