[dns-operations] dotless domains

Simon Munton Simon.Munton at CommunityDNS.net
Fri Sep 21 12:47:04 UTC 2012

It probably depends on how your O/S handles the resolution - typically
Windows systems will try and resolve a dot-less name using a local LAN
broadcast looking typically for a PC on the same LAN segment by that
name - but it will depend on your config (e.g. domain controller or not,
LAN Manager settings etc.etc YMMV etc)

IMHO, if they work or not, BRAND holders should simply be aware they
probably won't, but they can try if they like, its within RFC.

I guess the other issue is do you allow a GLUE record for it in the ROOT
zone and if so, how often will you allow those to be updated.

On Chrome+Win7 I get different responses for http://dk/ , http://dk./
and https://dk./  ....  but none work :)