[dns-operations] dotless domains

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Sep 24 04:25:42 UTC 2012

On 09/23/2012 21:07, Mark Andrews wrote:

> It does if "http://myname" goes to a local machine one day and the
> next day it goes to a tld the next day because "myname" was added
> to the root zone and that zone has A, AAAA or SRV records which
> will be the case if resolvers/browsers are "fixed" to make simple
> names match against tld first, which you suggest is a logical
> consequence of allowing this idiocy to continue.

I didn't say that was the only solution, maybe the better idea is "test
local resolution first, then add a fully-qualifying dot second." My
point was not, "Here is how to solve the problem," so stop attacking my
poor, harmless straw man. :)  My point was that we are not limited to
the status quo.

... and are you saying that if I have foo.example.com, AND I have users
that do http://foo, AND someone creates dot-foo, AND my users then try
to go to my local site and get the TLD instead; that they will be
confused into entering their foo.example password into a form on
dot-foo? Or do I misunderstand?

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what