[dns-operations] dotless domains

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Sep 24 04:07:32 UTC 2012

In message <505FD46B.6070602 at dougbarton.us>, Doug Barton writes:
> On 09/21/2012 20:22, Mark Andrews wrote:

> >> For FF at least you're experiencing the "helpful" features that try to
> >> guess what you might have meant when you type in single words. I'm
> >> pretty sure that Opera has a similar feature, and I know that Chrome
> >> does. I have the following settings for FF to turn off that crap:
> >>
> >> user_pref("keyword.enabled", false);
> >> user_pref("browser.fixup.alternate.enabled", false);

> >> No, not surprised. However, I also do not think that the fact that it
> >> doesn't work reliably is a reason to forbid it contractually.
> >>
> >> 1. ccTLDs will always be able to do it, and a non-zero number of them
> >> already do. As a result, not allowing gTLDs to do it creates a feature
> >> disparity that would have to be justified by serious security and
> >> stability considerations. As in, it actually *breaks* something, as
> >> opposed to "it doesn't work reliably."
> >
> > No it is a security issue see RFC 1535.
>
> If I can make http://yahoo work on the LAN, I can create a security
> issue. But if I can do that, it's overwhelmingly likely that I can also
> direct http://yahoo.com  where I'd like it to go as well. So this does
> not create a new problem.

It does if "http://myname" goes to a local machine one day and the
next day it goes to a tld the next day because "myname" was added
to the root zone and that zone has A, AAAA or SRV records which
will be the case if resolvers/browsers are "fixed" to make simple
names match against tld first, which you suggest is a logical
consequence of allowing this idiocy to continue.

I've got machines named "sex" and "drugs" (sex, drugs, rock and
roll as a naming scheme).  One if not both of those names make
interesting TLDs.  Which machine should "ssh sex" or "ssh drugs"
connect to if sex and/or drugs tlds are added with address records.
Note I've been using those names for nearly 2 decades now.  Why
should I have to change my usage because some jolly come lately
with $200000 can buy a TLD.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org