[dns-operations] dotless domains

paul vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sat Sep 22 21:22:55 UTC 2012

On 9/22/2012 8:48 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 07:38:44PM -0700,
>  P Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote
>  a message of 77 lines which said:
>
>> To change the internet so that foo at Microsoft has universal not local
>> meaning would require action by many millions of parties not just by
>> Microsoft.
> Yes. It is also true for IPv6, DNSSEC and BCP38.

No. Thank you for saying so, because the way in which they differ is
exemplary.

Half the Internet can adopt IPv6 and the other half who still uses only
IPv4 will not be hurt by this.

Not so if half the internet decides that @Microsoft is local. The other
half can be badly hurt.

The exemplary difference is between a correctness preserving
transformation or backward compatible upgrade in one case, as against a
correctness destroying transformation or forklift upgrade in the other.

Paul

--
"I suspect I'm not known as a font of optimism." (VJS, 2012)