[dns-operations] dotless domains

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Fri Sep 21 23:28:18 UTC 2012

David Conrad (drc) writes:
> As documented in SAC053 (and discussed on this list), weird shit happens because many software developers assumed that a domain name has a dot in it. Given there is one root and that pretty much everybody is dependent upon it, you probably want to minimize the surprises that are associated with the root. To me, this means that you make exceptions to allow for surprises rather than the opposite. Over time, as software developers fix their broken code, it should become easier to get those exceptions for folks that care.

	I suspect that a non negligible number of gTLD applicants *expect* to
	be able to use http://wibble/ and mailto:bob at wibble

	I don't know (and don't care) if the reason that this is suddenly
	being floated is because of the imminent collision between expectations
	of applications and the hard limitations of existing implementations
	(and standards), but I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of pressure
	to Make Things Work. Contractual obligations to not have anything else
	than NS/SOA/DNSKEY at the apex might be hard to swallow when you plunk
	down 200K.

	So, comment away! (sac053-dotless-domains at icann.org)

	P.