[dns-operations] Strange goings on with two domains

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Thu Oct 18 22:45:53 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 05:57:31PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> When you delete names in EPP, you are not allowed to delete the name
> if any subordinate host objects still exist.  You cannot delete a host
> object if there is something using that host object as a name server
> (the host is linked).  Since the current registrar of crystaltech.com
> is not the same as that of duckworksmagazine.com, this might have been
> the case earlier.   In that case, presumably Melbourne IT renamed the
> host objects that were dependent on crystaltech.com, in order to make
> them "external" hosts and thereby to allow the deletion of
> crystaltech.com.  Certainly, this is a pattern of use I saw in the
> .info and other related registries.

Okay, that makes sense - the NS records were yanked out from underneath them, and that only requires authority over crystaltech.com, not either of the duckworks domains.

In earlier explorations I found that crystaltech.com is already serving different NS records for the domains, so I've recommended to the owner that he go to Network Solutions and switch both domains over to those NSes. Both are still authoritative for the domains, so I think that once the change propagates he should be okay (except for everyone who's cached the bogus NS records for the next ~48 hours).

Thanks,
Bill.