[dns-operations] How to get the anycast networks?

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Sat Oct 13 18:06:25 UTC 2012

On 10/13/2012 5:41 AM, dnsops_x730df7439 at spamfaenger.f-streibelt.de wrote:
> Am Sa, 13.10.12 um 16:31:22 Uhr
> schrieb pangj <pangj at riseup.net>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> My question is, if we want to deploy a global DNS service, how to get
>> the anycast networks?
>> We are a small company in Asia, don't have our own ASN.
>> So the only way is to rent a anycast network from an ISP or IDC?
>
> Why do yo think you need an anycasted DNS infrastructure in the first
> place?
>
> An anycasted DNS only helps, if your 'other infrastructure', e.g. your
> webservers, are also setup 'around the world' to keep the distance low.

This is incorrect.

The technologies available to serve DNS for a domain (unicast, anycast,
pigeoncast, etc.) have their own advantages and disadvantages.

The advantages and disadvantages of different methods of serving DNS are
independent of 'other infrastructure' within a domain.  Anycast
addressing/routing for DNS does not "only help" if you have widely
distributed web servers.

Most root server operators (and many TLD/ccTLD operators) use anycast
addressing/routing for DNS because anycasted DNS "helps" them despite
the fact that they don't run any 'other infratructure' in a distributed
fashion under those domains.  This isn't an accident.