[dns-operations] Massive DNS poisoning attacks in Brazil

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Oct 2 21:19:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 07:54:04PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> this doesn't work at the moment, even when there's code on the stub that
> supports it, which is rare and experimental.

DNSSEC Trigger mostly works for me.  It even has a "hotel sign on"
mode, and it probes for all the failure modes you're talking about.

> if ietf hadn't declared the dns protocol finished, and were not even now
> working to close up the dnsext working group, i'd propose that we
> develop a standard for carrying edns over tcp/80 and/or tcp/443, which
> is for most mobile users what "the internet" consists of.

There is nothing at all that prevents someone from getting together a
BoF session in order to set up such a protocol effort.  If you think
you can get the interest, hold such a BoF.  DNSEXT is closing because
what you're talking about is not DNS, but a new protocol that looks
kinda like DNS but runs on a different port.  So's mDNS.

But that aside,

> i'm not sure how we expect DANE to make any difference when we don't
> have working last mile DNSSEC.

I don't think this is the problem at all.  The problem is that even if
you can get that out at the end point (and I can, using DNSSEC
Trigger), it does you no good because your application _can't tell_
what happened.  If I'm a web browser programmer, I want to be able to
know whether the DNSSEC validation worked before I start using the
TLSA record.  Today, that is too much work (and probably reduces to
"implement a resolver in the browser").

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com