[dns-operations] PTR records, and IANA blackhole

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Fri Nov 16 20:50:42 UTC 2012

Hey,

On 2012-11-16, at 15:37, Fr34k <freaknetboy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was able to verify we were still being blackholed when I started to compose this email.
> When I run some additional testing now, it seems we are no longer seeing the blackhole-like behavior.
>
> Perhaps your inquiry put some fix magic in motion, or I should buy a lotto ticket (?).  Perhaps both.

There are lots of different organisations who run (independently) AS112 instances, along the lines specified in RFC 6304. Without knowing which node a particular client is reaching, it's not possible to do any coordinated repair to an observed problem. An inaccurate list (perhaps useful for something) can be found on <http://www.as112.net/> (e.g. see <http://public.as112.net/node/30>).

If the digs and traceroutes I mentioned before in my reply to Chris don't make it obvious who to talk to, coming to a list like this and saying "the AS112 node I see from my corner of the Internet seems a bit broken", including the traceroutes and the digs, is probably sufficient for someone to point you in the right direction.

As you mentioned in the text I clipped, following the directions in RFC 6303 to stop these queries hitting the public network in the first thing is the right answer. However, surely nobody who has gone to the trouble of building and running an AS112 server intends for it to be broken, and problem reports would no doubt be appreciated.

Joe