[dns-operations] scale of vanity [was: Re: stealth slaving the root zone]

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed May 16 10:49:31 UTC 2012

On 5/16/12 4:31 AM, Jim Reid wrote:
> [And FWIW I very much doubt the vanity TLD madness will continue long
> enough for the root zone grow to anywhere like that size: maybe a few
> thousand new TLDs at most.]

while linguistic and cultural applications are similar to iso3166
allocations, and therefore limited to some low multiple of the iso3166
allocations, and ascii encoded non-ascii applications are also similar
to iso3166 allocations and similarly limited, and purpose
applications, municipal, regional or industry segment are similarly
limited, constituting in sum a bounded set of some low multiple of the
current iso3166 allocations, brand applications are unbounded in
number and new brands are constantly created.

if the representations of the body responsible for soliciting two
thousand applications concerning process and risk cost estimation are
implemented, the entry cost in the future may be significantly less
than it is in 2012.

note that having participated in every general meeting since the san
juan meeting to the singapore meeting, and having closely read each
version of the draft applicant guidebook, at no point did i observe
policy for a type of application for which the registration, transfer,
and other policies intended to meet a brand-restricted operational
practice and rules for registry and registrar operators under
consideration.

-e