[dns-operations] stealth slaving the root zone

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed May 16 08:31:29 UTC 2012

On 16 May 2012, at 08:53, Mark Andrews wrote:

> The only problem with this is ICANN wanting to make the DNS a flat
> namespace by adding lots of vanity TLDs.   As these grow the space
> required to serve "." increases and it will only be possible to do
> this with large servers.

Nonsense. A $300 box from the local hypermarket or electrical shop
will have at least 1 GB of RAM, 1 GHz CPU and a 250GB disk. This could
easily serve a zone containing a few million names. [And FWIW I very
much doubt the vanity TLD madness will continue long enough for the
root zone grow to anywhere like that size: maybe a few thousand new
TLDs at most.] There are of course non-trivial problems making every
DNS server on the planet hold the root zone and keeping that copy up
to date. Big Iron for those stealthy servers won't be one of them.