[dns-operations] The (very) uneven distribution of DNS root servers on the Internet

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue May 15 09:14:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 09:46:36AM +0100,
 Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote
 a message of 32 lines which said:

> The author of this piece doesn't seem to know much.

I suggest that the people who Know comment on the blog to explain (I
do not suggest to do it at IGF or ITU where it would be useless,
because people currently in Geneva don't care about practical things).

> BTW "fair and equitable" is one of those unfortunate phrases that
> gets Internet governance types very excited, not always in a good
> way: eg "fair and equitable" distribution of IP addresses.

We disagree here. Asking for fairness and equity (for IP addresses or
root name servers) seem reasonable to me. The problem of the Pingdom
article is that they fingerpoint in the wrong direction.