[dns-operations] Why would an MTA issue an ANY query instead of an MX query?

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Tue Jun 12 17:47:00 UTC 2012

{warning to self: sliding off topic}

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 02:46:12PM +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> Besides, local DNSSEC validating, regardless of ISP port 53 blocks,
> is the fix for those concerns.

not really.  It helps "mitigate" lies, but does not reinstantiate
access to helpfully suppressed name resolution data.   I think the
DNS technical community ought to be careful not to lose sight
of the broader picture when making operational recommendations.
And just because Joe and Joan may enjoy their walled garden,
I don't want to be forced into their "enhanced" user experience.

-Peter