[dns-operations] baby/bathwater [Re: Why would an MTA issue an ANY query instead of an MX query?]

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Tue Jun 12 06:44:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 03:32:56AM +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> Joe and Joan should be using their ISP's validating, load balancing,
> well (or at least somewhat) maintained DNS servers, just as they should
> be using their ISP's SMTP systems.

I'm sure my government loves you already.  Why not cripple the Internet further
since what else do Joe and Joan need but TCP port 80, where the rest
(or even anything at all) can go through the ISP's web proxy?
Fun that we celebrated the deployment of IPv6 for its potential
of 'permission free innovation' just a few days ago.

Do we actually have evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that the
scenarios involving CPEs are the core of current flow of ANY packets?
Can this be tracked down to specific brands?  Are we sure the
problem is only with the CPEs?

-Peter