[dns-operations] Minimalistic DNS server for SOA and AXFR

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jul 17 21:59:58 UTC 2012

In message <20120717144539.GA43676 at jmbp.ww.mens.de>, Jan-Piet Mens writes:
> > Actually named does do SOA queries over TCP before AXFR.
>
> Zone transfer from BIND 9.9.1 to BIND 9.9.1; logs on master:
>
>  view internal: query: ww.mens.de IN SOA -E (192.168.1.20)
>  view internal: query: ww.mens.de IN IXFR -T (192.168.1.20)
>  view internal: transfer of 'ww.mens.de/IN': AXFR-style IXFR started
>  view internal: transfer of 'ww.mens.de/IN': AXFR-style IXFR ended
>
> That initial SOA query looks to me as though its on UDP.

Just because it doesn't *always* do it, that doesn't mean that it
won't do it.

I'll leave is as a exercise to find the conditions that will cause
it to perform a SOA before AXFR because I will assure you that there
is such a condition and both queries are made on the same TCP
connection.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC