[dns-operations] Minimalistic DNS server for SOA and AXFR

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Jul 17 19:38:10 UTC 2012

    On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 04:26:22PM +0200, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
    > On 17/07/2012 15:33, Mark Andrews wrote:
    >
    > > Actually named does do SOA queries over TCP before AXFR.
    >
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > On my MacOS X laptop (which comes with BIND 9.7.3-P3), I didn't see SOA
    > queries over TCP. I saw a SOA query over UDP, followed by an AXFR
    > request over TCP. Besides TC in a UDP response, what would cause BIND to
    > do an SOA query over TCP?

    Anand,

    Sorry to be obtuse, and of course, nothing on the internet needs a reason.

    But inquiring minds want to know. WHY are you inventing yet another
    nameserver when we have so many fine ones available already?

As far as I understood he wanted something which would only provide AXFR,
not a full blown server.

	jaap