[dns-operations] Minimalistic DNS server for SOA and AXFR

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Jul 17 17:21:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 04:26:22PM +0200, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> On 17/07/2012 15:33, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
> > Actually named does do SOA queries over TCP before AXFR.
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> On my MacOS X laptop (which comes with BIND 9.7.3-P3), I didn't see SOA
> queries over TCP. I saw a SOA query over UDP, followed by an AXFR
> request over TCP. Besides TC in a UDP response, what would cause BIND to
> do an SOA query over TCP?

Anand,

Sorry to be obtuse, and of course, nothing on the internet needs a reason.

But inquiring minds want to know. WHY are you inventing yet another
nameserver when we have so many fine ones available already?

Nameserver implementors can assure you the route is filled with corner cases
and unexpected protocol infelicities that people, oddly, expect you to work
around. For an example,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-14 lists 25+ pages
of *clarifications* on AXFR alone.

BIND, Yadifa, NSD, Knot, PowerDNS and a host of other nameservers are already
out there.

Are you truly sure none of these fit the bill? PowerDNS for example can
serve up a zone generated by a script (Perl, Python, Lua, Java, C++,
whatever). So if you want to programmatically generate a 16G zone w/o having
it in memory, it can be done.

Just my 2 eurocents (getting less all the time).

	Bert

--
PowerDNS Website: http://www.powerdns.com/
PowerDNS Community Website: http://wiki.powerdns.com/