[dns-operations] A lot of CNAME queries for domain ?

Simon Munton Simon.Munton at CommunityDNS.net
Thu Jul 5 16:43:14 UTC 2012

That sounds odd to me as CNAME records are not normally ever
specifically queried (asked) for.

Where they exist, they are given as reply to a query for any RR type,
but the CNAME itself is then followed by the resolver until an answer is
achieved.

e.g.

authority => www IN CNAME web1

query     => www/IN/A

reply     => www IN CNAME web1

You don't actually ask for the CNAME, in that respect its similar to a
wildcard. In my little example, we asked for an "A" records, but were
given the CNAME.