[dns-operations] what nameserver software have you been using?

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Fri Dec 14 15:56:10 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----

From: Feng He <fenghe at nsbeta.info>
Date: Friday, December 14, 2012 10:17 AM
To: "dns-operations at lists.dns-oarc.net" <dns-operations at lists.dns-oarc.net>
Subject: [dns-operations] what nameserver software have you been using?

>It seems there are many DNS gurus here.
>I am just curious what nameservers software have you been using?
>For mime BIND is always my choice, running BIND 9.7 on debian 6 OS.
>This is my DNS hosting info:
>http://www.dailychanges.com/cloudwebdns.com/

I've used BIND since 4.x in the ISP world, so it was the first DNS
software I touched and I still like it the best.  Originally inherited
tinydns here and never enjoyed the "static" nature of the product
(eventually got used to the different format and even started to
appreciate the simplicity of adding records), so moved everything over to
BIND a couple quarters ago.  Serving around 10k clients internally.  More
if you count other groups using it whose infrastructure I don't directly
manage, much more externally but only as Akamai EDNS origins.

Also using PowerDNS in a limited role, with plans to increase that in
coming months (hidden masters for internal and external views providing
web UIs for L1 folks and replication for DR).  So I continue to like and
respect the BIND project, but also appreciate efforts from others.