[dns-operations] Update: Problem in Costa Rica 14 Sept.

Dave Knight dave at knig.ht
Wed Sep 28 14:24:42 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-27, at 4:26 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:43:49PM +0200,
> Jan-Piet Mens <jpmens.dns at gmail.com> wrote
> a message of 24 lines which said:
>
>> According to what my favorite search engine popped up, it happened
>> "in a few minutes" starting on Wed May 5 16:56:05 UTC 2010 ;-)
>
> It was still in the root zone in July. Do not believe everything you
> read on the Web :-)

It may have been in one version of the root zone in July, but I don't think it was in the version being served by the root servers.

During the deployment of DNSSEC in the root zone some servers carried the DURZ (Deliberately Unvalidatable Root Zone) which I don't think contained the marker.

<http://www.root-dnssec.org/2010/01/14/status-update-january-2010/>

Week of 2010-01-25: L starts to serve DURZ
Week of 2010-02-08: A starts to serve DURZ
Week of 2010-03-01: M, I start to serve DURZ
Week of 2010-03-22: D, K, E start to serve DURZ
Week of 2010-04-12: B, H, C, G, F start to serve DURZ
Week of 2010-05-03: J starts to serve DURZ

When the migration of all servers to the DURZ was completed on May 5th no root server would have been carrying a version of the root zone which contained the marker.

On July 15th the transition from the DURZ to the root zone containing real keys ended the period where there were multiple versions of the root zone.

<http://www.root-dnssec.org/2010/07/16/status-update-2010-07-16/>

dave