[dns-operations] Update: Problem in Costa Rica 14 Sept.

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Tue Sep 27 13:55:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 09:59:46AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Thanks for the report. The advices I can give (every zone generator
> has to guard itself againt this sort of problems):
>
> * always check return codes (if you use C, check the return code of
>   close; or use a langauge with exceptions; in shell, use "set -e")

or, better [since it doesn't change the environment]
	if [ "0" != "$?" ]; then
	fi
if you don't use a derivitive of the sh/bash/ksh lines, but a csh
derivative:
	if ( "0" != "$status" ) then
	endif
[IF I remember correctly ...]

> * check the zone file before reloading the name server: size (should
>   never decrease, or only by a very small amount), amount of changes,

This is not reliable.  I try to clean out cruft, less frequently than I
would like.  ;~}

> * add a dummy TXT at the *end* of the zone file: its absence means a
>   problem,

I have a comment in there that changes per version.  And keep the file
under change control.  I know there are those who oppose that.

> * monitor the disk space (just in case).

This should always be done first.  IMHBUCO.

--
**