[dns-operations] IDNs

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Sep 16 20:33:53 UTC 2011

The answer to this question is probably highly local-computer specific.

Looking, for example, at this URL:
http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/xn--fpcrj9c3d.html

There are five characters I can't see.  The same is true for a few of
the other IDNs - all seem to be in South Asia for my browser/OS.

I can see the Chinese TLDs (Xianggang, Zhongguo x 2, Taiwan x 2,
Xinjiapo), Korean and others.  (I'm not surprised about the Chinese
ones because I've made use of the Chinese character set on my machine
before.)  What I can see does seem to depend on the application I am
running (Safari or "vi" or "more" or "cat").

I'm doing this on MacOS machines of various vintages (Leopard, Snow
L, and Lion).

The question - what's the best way to see all of the TLD names in
native script?  I mean, if I - echo "$idn" - and idn has a hex
sequence of UTF-8, what seems to get the most characters "to write
right"?

I don't mean to make this Mac specific, I'm curious if there's an
optimal solution.
Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

Vote for the word of the day:
"Papa"razzi - father that constantly takes photos of the baby
Corpureaucracy - The institution of corporate "red tape"