[dns-operations] Huge increase in number of blank queries

Bob Paolucci Bob.Paolucci at rci.rogers.com
Tue Sep 13 17:32:19 UTC 2011

Anyone know of anything strange going on?

We've experience a huge jump in the number of Queries coming in with no
domain (.)
Im seeing such a jump that its increased the number of queries my
servers are handling by 7X.
Im afraid we're being used for some sort of amplification attack.
I cannot pinpoint any particular destination network... and these
queries are coming from all over our network (clients).

Example of what we're seeing:

DNS:  ----- DNS Header -----
DNS:
DNS:  Query ID = 11822
DNS:  Opcode: Query
DNS:  RD (Recursion Desired)
DNS:  1 question(s)
DNS:      Domain Name:
DNS:      Class: 1 (Internet)
DNS:      Type:  1 (Address)
DNS:

ETHER:  ----- Ether Header -----
ETHER:
ETHER:  Packet 21 arrived at 17:27:19.91916
ETHER:  Packet size = 134 bytes
ETHER:  Destination = 0:1:64:f9:1a:1,
ETHER:  Source      = 0:21:28:80:65:9d,
ETHER:  Ethertype = 0800 (IP)
ETHER:

IP:   ----- IP Header -----
IP:
IP:   Version = 4
IP:   Header length = 20 bytes
IP:   Type of service = 0x00
IP:         xxx. .... = 0 (precedence)
IP:         ...0 .... = normal delay
IP:         .... 0... = normal throughput
IP:         .... .0.. = normal reliability
IP:         .... ..0. = not ECN capable transport
IP:         .... ...0 = no ECN congestion experienced
IP:   Total length = 120 bytes
IP:   Identification = 333
IP:   Flags = 0x4
IP:         .1.. .... = do not fragment
IP:         ..0. .... = last fragment
IP:   Fragment offset = 0 bytes
IP:   Time to live = 255 seconds/hops
IP:   Protocol = 17 (UDP)
IP:   Header checksum = 0000
IP:   Source address = 64.71.246.97,
dns15-vip-rcbin.wlfdle.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com
IP:   Destination address = 174.117.115.133, 174.117.115.133
IP:   No options
IP:

UDP:  ----- UDP Header -----
UDP:
UDP:  Source port = 53
UDP:  Destination port = 1046
UDP:  Length = 100
UDP:  Checksum = 5919
UDP:
DNS:  ----- DNS Header -----
DNS:
DNS:  Response ID = 43465
DNS:  RA (Recursion Available)
DNS:  Response Code: 0 (OK)
DNS:  Reply to 1 question(s)
DNS:      Domain Name:
DNS:      Class: 1 (Internet)
DNS:      Type:  1 (Address)
DNS:
DNS:  0 answer(s)
DNS:  1 name server resource(s)
DNS:      Domain Name:
DNS:      Class: 1 (Internet)
DNS:      Type:  6 (Start Of a zone Authority)
DNS:      TTL (Time To Live): 3509
DNS:      Start Of a zone Authority:
DNS:      MNAME (Server name): a.root-servers.net.
DNS:      RNAME (Resposible mailbox): nstld.verisign-grs.com.
DNS:      Serial: 2011091300
DNS:      Refresh: 1800  Retry: 900  Expire: 604800 Minimum: 86400
DNS:
DNS:  0 additional record(s)