[dns-operations] Short NS record names

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed May 11 14:31:04 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-11, at 10:14, PASZTOR Miklos wrote:

> Now I wonder if there are any disadvantages. I don't see any.

Once upon a time "ns1.dns.aq" (an authority-only server for the AQ TLD) was present in the AQ zone with no zone cut (i.e. dns.aq was not delegated). We got reports from various people that because of their use of the "delegation-only" BIND feature, it was impossible for them to resolve that name. We added a zone cut for dns.aq.

(See, e.g., <http://www.isc.org/software/bind/delegation-only>; note also "root-delegation-only").

I don't know whether this is a current concern, but before you rename *all* your authority-only servers in that fashion it might be worth doing some experiments. Or you could just add a zone cut.

Joe