[dns-operations] TCP anycast was Re: DNS query logging

Craig Leres leres at ee.lbl.gov
Thu Mar 17 22:03:50 UTC 2011

I don't have experience using anycast on the wide area but we're using
it internally at LBL for dns and we designed the dynamic routing
cost/distance so that for any given location on (or off) site, the
routing distance was unique.

With regards to anycast and ntp, if routing changes and a client starts
chiming off of a different server, the RTT will change. But ntp knows
how to deal with this. Route flapping could be a problem but ntpd will
detect dynamic range in the RTT and switch to using a more "stable" server.

		Craig