[dns-operations] ns.uu.net is lame for .int

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 6 00:11:33 UTC 2011

On Mar 5 2011, Fred Morris wrote:

>ns.uu.net is (classically) lame for .int. Lame servers are, sadly, not
>unusual. But are there any others where . is making the delegation?

[...]
>int.                    86400   IN      NS      ns0.ja.net.
>int.                    86400   IN      NS      ns.icann.org.
>int.                    86400   IN      NS      sec2.authdns.ripe.net.
>int.                    86400   IN      NS      ns.uu.net.
>int.                    86400   IN      NS      ns1.cs.ucl.ac.uk.

As well as ns.uu.net giving an upwards referral, ns0.ja.net gives
SERVFAIL. And sec2.authdns.ripe.net has the serial number problem
others have described. Also ns1.cs.ucl.ac.uk is still running BIND
8.2.3 and they refuse to upgrade (or so we were led to believe when
we first tried to register cam.ac.uk at dlv.isc.org in 2009 and ISC's
validation script went into a tizzy about it: as a more or less
direct result ns1.cs.ucl.ac.uk got removed as an official slave
for ac.uk).

Internationalism isn't looking too good, it seems...

What a good thing that ip6.int got transmogrified into ip6.arpa!

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,